Monday, April 7, 2008

NT Theology makes me want to hit my head against the wall

I've been reading NT Wright's Surprised By Hope: Rethinking Heaven, Resurrection, and the Mission of the Church. So far it's been a great book: enlightening as to how heaven is portrayed in the Bible, what Jesus' resurrection means for our lives - both presently and in the future, and how we've drastically misinterpreted key passages in the NT concerning the future of our world.
It's been a good read.

Until my lunch break.

It was in reading about the parousia and the 2nd coming and escshatology that I started having PTSD symptoms. I took a class on the Revelation of John two summers ago and it nearly killed me. I can't remember the entire episode (I must have blacked out), but what I remember is yelling at my Bible prof, crying because I could not understand the resurrection at all. (I was confused because somehow there was more than one.) There was a timeline, I was on it... It's all very hazy, but that's what happened. Dr. Reeves was very concerned (and probably a little put out) and tried to help me, but I still don't really understand. Obviously.

I've decided that it's wise that I'm considering an MSW over an MDIV because I am entirely too stupid to go to seminary. I would die; seminary would kill me. I so wish I'd paid more attention in my Redford classes. What I wouldn't give to be able to sit in on Hymnic and Wisdom or Doctrine or NT Theology or Hebrews or Jesus. Man....

See? I must be some kind of sadist: this stuff makes me want to harm myself, but I still want it all the same. Gah....I'm a basket-case.

No comments: