Monday, August 10, 2009

When God is Funnier than You Thought

Have you ever had those moments where you stop and think, "Whoa. God is a lot bigger and funnier than I ever imagined."

I had a moment like that last night. Allow me to share. =)

A few weeks ago, a friend asked if I was interested in an opportunity to nanny for her aunt this coming weekend on a cruise in Alaska. This might interest me normally, but the "icing on the cake" was that this cruise was the Gaither Homecoming Alaskan Cruise and my friend's aunt is Ladye Love Smith of Ladye Love & Reggie Smith who sing with the Gaither Homecoming crew.

You have to realize that before 2 years ago I couldn't STAND Southern Gospel and especially the Gaithers. I harbored this little vendetta because it was "uncool" and for old people. You also have to realize that I've never before moving home I was not so good with the being around children-thing. Although, I'm still not sometimes...

But I knew it was one of those once in a lifetime things that I just would regret if I didn't try to make work. I turned in my notice for my job hoping that everything would come through. I started planning what I could take to entertain a 7-yr-old kid for a week while his parents perform. I thought through how to be cool and not act the way I did when I met Sandi Patty last summer (but that's another story...).

And the Lord let everything work out.

Last night my mom looked at me and said "Sarah, isn't it incredible the things the Lord will give you, even when you don't ask?" And I honestly would have never, not in my wildest dreams, thought to ask to nanny on a cruise ship. In Alaska. For the Gaither Homecoming show. Two years ago I would have never even dreamed this was something I would have even wanted to do. Now I'm excited to go and minister to this family so that they can minister to a whole cruise-ship full of people. I'm excited to hang out with this little kid so that he can be part of his family's life. I'm excited to hang out the members of a group that I love to listen to.

This might be one of those things that you think, "What is the opposite of name-dropping?" because you think this is lame. And that's ok. But it's amazing to me what God wants to give us, even when we don't know we want it.

And btw, you should probably learn to love the Gaithers cause you know we're gonna be singing "Because He Lives" all the time in heaven. =)



4 comments:

Heather said...

Oh Sarah. That totally is the opposite of name-dropping. (BTW How I Met Your Mother starts next month!!!) But I am super excited for you and I am sure you will have an amazing amazing time. Enjoy your once-in-a-lifetime trip! I can't wait to hear ALL about it!

Christopher Maples said...

We might be singing it, dear Sarah, but think of how much better it will sound. :D

Jenny said...

I love you.

Unknown said...

Our God is extravagent and sometimes He loves to give us a kiss on our forehead. That is what I think this is: a God sized kiss on the forehead.