Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Music 101

It's no secret that music is a big part of my world. I mean, I can't handle silence at all...I need music in the background just to stay focused.

However, it's hard for me to find new music that I enjoy. I attribute this to the fact that I live under a country music rock. And really only get out it to enjoy some Southern Gospel now & then.

Lucky for me I have friends who are more well-rounded in terms of music and are willing to educate me in the ways of great music. And lucky for you, I'm willing to share. =)

So, just for your enjoyment, here are the Top 5 best musicians I've been introduced to this year and that you also should love....(in no particular order):

3. Tyrone Wells: Jason Segel may need to move over as my celebrity BF. Minus the fact that he's married and famous, Tyrone is perfect. =) But this guy's vocals are killer and even his covers are astounding. PLUS, he's a Washington state local. Gotta love 'em homegrown (and bald) =) This is my current fave Tyrone jam:


5. Dierks Bentley isn't necessarily "new" to me, but this new album of his is. And it's seriously awesome x's infinity. This is for lovers of Bluegrass and all things Appalachian.


(sorry YouTube was dumb and wouldn't let me embed it, but still totally worth it)

2. NeedtoBreathe: if you like Kings of Leon, you'll enjoy this band's sound. Seriously good driving music. Here's my personal fave, "Girl Named Tennessee."


4. Family Force 5: some friends have been trying for 2 years to get me to listen to FF5; however, they are very nearly "scream-o" rock and I said Nyet! But, at a music festival they played at, I was actually digging most of what I heard. I was totally down with them until they had robots on the screen dancing. So I had to bail...BUT! They are still good and worth listening to if you can handle loud and raucous music that isn't country-based. Well, except for this song. =)


(best part of this: the mullet-as-weapon beat-down at the end)

1. JJ Heller: Christian indie folk-esque. Like Ingrid Michaelson with a Jesus slant. =) Her songs move me. Especially this one.



2 comments:

Sara said...

I saw Tyrone Wells once, I didn't think he was all that memorable. In fact, I thought his covers were kind of terrible.
I will now give him a second chance because of your love for him. :)

Sarah Lewie said...

I do. I truly do love him. =) Especially his cover of "Use Somebody" by Kings of Leon. Awesome. =)