Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween Tradition


Today is Halloween. If you know me, you know I'm not a big fan. This could be blamed on my Southern Baptist upbringing or my aversion to masks or that I'm just not that creative.* But, for the last couple years I've had a "Halloween tradition". It started in college when I did workstudy for Dr. Fuhrman. It's not everyone's Halloween cup o' scary, but I like it. Sure, I still go to parties and enjoy candy like a fat kid enjoys....candy. Wow....

And we could blame this tradition on my Southern Baptist upbringing, Dr. Fuhrman, or the fact that I'm just not that creative.* Whatever the reason, my little Halloween tradition makes my little heart get excited for this holiday.

I watch Luther.

Before you get "all-up-on's" because I'm a dork, understand the history. Martin Luther, depicted in the movie by Joseph Finnes, posted his 95 Theses on the door of the Wittenburg Castle Church on October 31, 1517. This led to the beginning of the Reformation, the Protestant movement and ultimately to the secession from the Catholic church.

It has action, theology, and a little romance. That's like the trifecta of awesome. Plus, church history and a bunch of German words. Does it get much better than that? I submit: no.

So, if you don't have any super exciting plans for Halloween tonight, you too can be as cool as me and enjoy a nice night with Martin Luther and all his Reformational buddies, watching them tear down the walls between the people and the clergy and opening up the Bible to a hungry people. (I really do sound like a nerd...)



* By the way, I'm actually stoked tonight about my costume because I got creative. It's a-ma-za-zing. Pictures tomorrow. =)

Happy Halloween!

No comments: