Monday, May 17, 2010

Homepage

I have two computers: my work computer (Jack) and my laptop (Alex). The default homepage for Jack is the GroupHealth Cooperative intranet page. I can't change it (try as I like) and I don't need the intranet for much. So when I want to get online I usually opt for opening the shortcut link to my iGoogle.

For those of you who don't know the gloriousness that is iGoogle, it contains the Gmail inbox, the weather, chat, news clips, the Google function and I even have a Tetrus game on mine. I love iGoogle. And I would love if Jack's homepage would be iGoogle instead of GHC.

*Segue!!*

Our church is going through a sermon series on the Fruits of the Spirit. We spent last night at our community group kind of recapping the last couple: kindness, goodness and faithfulness. After discussing the nuances of each of those, the main point became that all of these things boil down to love. You can't be kind without love; you can't be good without love; do you really want to have faith in something (or Someone) that you don't love?

The illustration was made that love should be our homepage. It should be what we default to. Once we're in the love 'homepage', we'll be able to "link" to anyone of those other fruits: joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.

However, for many of us, love doesn't seem to be our go-to; it's typically something else. We discussed Ephesians 4.31 that says, "Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice." One of these is more than likely what we default to.

I have to admit that mine is slander. When I'm frustrated, when I've lost control over something, when something doesn't go my way or I can't get what I want or I'm hurt, I default to slander. Whatever the situation, it's never my fault, something else made me drop the ball or caused me to be late or hurt my feelings or made me feel little. I want to deflect any responsibility and throw someone under the bus.

But what if rather than opening my homepage to slander, I opened it to love? How would that even look?

When I can't complete something on time, what if rather than complain, I worked to get it done more quickly?

When I lose control over some situation, what if rather than assume the other person has it out for me, I find something else to do?

When I get my feelings hurt, what if rather than talk bad about them to others, I stop right then and pray for them?

I think it might look like love. Like the love of Christ coming out in my life. And helping others to see Him more clearly in me.

I can't change the default setting on my work computer. It's always going to be GHC. However, I've gone straight to my shortcut enough that I rarely open the Internet Explorer icon. It's muscle memory. And I think if we do it enough, if we practice it enough, we can make our default settings remember love, rather than what we'd rather go to, be it anger or malice or bitterness or self-pity or judgmentalism or whatever.

iGoogle is awesome.

Love is awesomer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If your blog had a "like" button, I would click it! :)

I don't remember where I was or who said, but I remember growing up there was someone preaching on the Fruit of the Spirit and he said that to be able to truly have the other fruits you had to learn love first; that's why it is the first Fruit of the Spirit. Obviously because God has given us His Spirit so we should be showing signs of all of the fruit, but without a foundation of love, it makes the others more difficult!

~Adina~

Sarah Lewie said...

True story, roommate. True story.

=)

Lydia said...

Btw- I think this is a really cool post.