Friday, November 28, 2008

NCCUtDAT

There are many principles that I live by. Some make sense, like looking both ways before crossing the street or that personal hygiene is important. Others don't make as much sense - i.e. refusing to sing "Happy Birthday" or kissing the steering wheel when going through a yellow light ( ;) ).

Not Celebrating Christmas Until the Day After Thanksgiving (or NCCUtDAT, if you will) is one I follow to the inth degree. Christmas lights, holiday songs, fake Christmas smiles from the Wal-Mart employees, eating gingerbread men... if I am within the vacinity of these things before the day after Thanksgiving, I am not a pleasant person.

With that being said, it is now the day after Thanksgiving.

This means I will listen to Steven Curtis Chapman's "The Music of Christmas", Avalon's "Joy" and Harry Connick Jr's "When My Heart Finds Christmas" albums for the next 5 weeks. I have downloaded my annual Christmas ringtone ("ChristmasEve Sarajevo 224/Carol of the Bells" by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, for those of you that care). I will string up Christmas lights around my bedroom window and I can begin buying Christmas gifts online while effectively avoiding all contact with shopping malls.

Maybe I'm a dork. And maybe I should really love doing Christmas-y things all year long because Jesus is cool.

But it really just comes down to principles.

Do you have Christmas principles?




And Jonah 3 wrap-up on SereYodh =)

.

5 comments:

CerahSee said...

I broke the NCC....whatever rule that I hold to the other day.

It was the Stephen Colbert Christmas special that did it to me. I prayed and sought forgiveness and now I can celebrate Christmas with a clean conscience.

Michael Gilley said...

Oh Sarah, this is where we are like soul mates, once again. : ) I used to go even further and said no Christmas until the first of December! ...or else...! But then I realized my grinch-like ways and decided to pass a declaration stating that the Christmas season officially begins for me on the fourth Friday of November.

Although I must say, I was uber in the spirit yesterday while waiting for Thanksgiving dinner to role around. I've already got about three to four albums of classic Christmas music collected (Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Muppets, Michael Buble, Lou Rawls, Bing Crosby, Jimmy Durante, etc.). Needless to say, I'm excited.

CerahSee said...

I'm glad to know that I am off the NCCUtDAT hook.

Jamie said...

santa clause, santa clause...must have been 'ol santa clause! santa clause, santa clause...
happy ho ho ho to you.

one of my faves!!

Jamie said...

wait - is there supposed to be an "e" at the end of "claus"?!

so i spelled it the classic Tim Allen holiday movie way!